American Sign Language


     Hey guys! As you may know, the main character of my film will be deaf. For that reason, I will have to add subtitles on the parts of my film where the characters sign to each other, that way the viewer may be able to understand what the characters are saying. There is not one type of sign language understood worldwide, for that reason, I will be using American Sign Language (ASL). This is a complete language that employs signs made by moving the hands combined with facial expressions and postures of the body. American Sign Language however, is the primary language of many North Americans who are deaf or hard-of-hearing. Because I do not know ASL, I have asked one of my friends Irene Mejia, who has been learning ASL for over three years now, to help me learn how to do the signs necessary that I will use in the film. She sent me this video of her doing it: 


     With this video, my actors will know how to properly sign when the time comes. In contrast however, my actor will not say the sign that she is saying like Irene did in the video above, they will just sign. I will show this to the actors and make sure that they get it right. The signing here is fairly simple since its a small sentence so I don't believe that we'll have much issues with signing correctly what the words are. 
Until then, Mafe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Bloopers

Filming At My House

Editing